Skip to menu Skip to content Skip to footer

You're viewing this site as a domestic an international student

You're a domestic student if you are:

  • a citizen of Australia or New Zealand,
  • an Australian permanent resident, or
  • a holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa.

You're an international student if you are:

  • intending to study on a student visa,
  • not a citizen of Australia or New Zealand,
  • not an Australian permanent resident, or
  • a temporary resident (visa status) of Australia.
You're viewing this site as a domestic an international student

Rural Access Scheme

If you've lived in an Australian rural area, our Rural Access Scheme may help boost your selection rank for entry into some programs.

Rural areas of Australia often have restricted or limited access to educational opportunities, resources and health services compared with those available in cities or larger towns.

To help address these challenges, our Rural Access Scheme provides eligible applicants with 2 adjustments to help boost their selection rank for entry into:

  • all undergraduate programs
  • Doctor of Medicine (Provisional Entry).

If you're eligible for adjustments, your entry score will be converted to a QTAC selection rank and any adjustments will be added onto this rank. Each adjustment is equivalent to 1 rank.

You still have to meet all entry requirements for each program you apply for.

Who is eligible

To be eligible for this scheme, you must have lived in a geographic region classified as –

  • Remoteness Area 2 (RA2)
  • Remoteness Area 3 (RA3)
  • Remoteness Area 4 (RA4)
  • Remoteness Area 5 (RA5) –

for at least 5 consecutive years, or for 10 years cumulatively.

Remoteness Areas are defined by the Australian Statistical Geography Standard (ASGS) system.

There is a searchable map of Australia that allows you to view the ASGS Remoteness Area classification of the region where you live.

It doesn't matter when you lived in a rural area – you're eligible for any period of your life (i.e. from birth on).

A rural residential property must have been your principal home address. Holiday homes, secondary residences and investment properties don't qualify.

Students who attended boarding school can use their family's primary residence as their qualifying address.

How to apply

Applications for the Rural Access Scheme are administered by QTAC.

When you list a relevant program as a preference on your QTAC application, QTAC will contact you about applying for the Rural Access Scheme.

QTAC will ask you to check your eligibility and your ASGS Remoteness Area (ASGS-RA) category. You'll then have to submit a cover sheet and your supporting documentation.

If your application is approved, adjustments will be automatically applied to all relevant UQ preferences.

How to apply for the Rural Access Scheme through QTAC

Doctor of Medicine applicants

If you're applying for the Doctor of Medicine Provisional Entry pathway, you must submit your Rural Access Scheme cover sheet and supporting documentation by 30 September. You will then also be considered for the Rural Background Sub-quota.

Supporting documentation

When you apply, you'll need to provide documents that prove your rural background.

Acceptable supporting evidence might include:

  • school reports that show your residential address
  • university transcripts that show your residential address
  • signed official letters on original letterhead from a school, university or workplace that show your residential address
  • other documents that prove the duration of your residency, such as utility invoices, rates notices, or bank statements that show your address at the time of issue. These proof of residency documents can be in your parents' names.

International students aren't eligible for the Rural Access Scheme.

If you're studying your senior schooling in Australia, you may be eligible for other admission schemes.

See admission schemes