Deferring studies


To defer your studies means to delay the commencement of your program to a future semester (i.e. to delay your first day in a program to a future semester).

How do I defer my program?

If you’re an international student and you want to defer your studies you should:

What's the difference between "deferring", "interrupting" and "withdrawing"?

Informally, many students use the word “defer” to mean “take a temporary break from studies”.

Strictly speaking, if you have started your program and you want to take a break at the end of a semester, the correct word to use is “interruption”. It’s important to understand the distinction between deferring studies and interrupting studies, because they refer to quite different administrative processes.

Dropping a course or dropping out of a program are called "withdrawing". You can withdraw from a single course or several courses – or from your program.

You must seek advice from your faculty before taking an interruption or withdrawing from a course or from your program. Changing your study load can affect your student visa. Academic or financial penalties might also apply. 

Visit our Interrupting Studies and Withdrawing from a program or course pages for more information. 

See something that needs editing? Let us know.

See something that needs editing? Let us know.

Learn to see the potential of the world. Gain the knowledge to make it better.

Need help button