We've set your view to international. If this isn't correct you can change it any time at the top right of the page. Change region ×


Canadian student loans


UQ participates in the Canadian Federal & Provincial Student Loan programs. Generally students apply to their local province and a single application covers both Provincial and Federal funding.

Students from British Columbia and Ontario should contact the Financial Aid officer at the time of application to request the British Columbia Appendix 3 form or the Ontario OSAP Program Information Form.

These forms are completed by the Financial Aid Officer and sent directly to the relevant Provincial office. Students from other provinces can usually complete the initial part of process without assistance from UQ.

It is advisable that you apply early for your funding, although if you can avoid the peak processing times created by students studying in Canada it will make your application times shorter. If starting at UQ in January or February, apply in November or December of the previous year.

Types of loans

Federal Student Loans/Canada Student Loans

Federal Student Loans are interest-free, full-time student loans. The Canadian government will pay the interest on your Canada Student Loan while you are studying full-time. You must confirm your student status at the end of each Canadian academic year. 

Repayment begins six months after you have completed your studies or have stopped being a full-time student. Interest on your loan accrues from the time you stop being a full-time student. Please visit the National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC) website for further information.

Provincial Loans

In addition to a federal student loan, you may also be eligible for a full-time student loan from the province or territory where you live. Eligibility for both federal and provincial loans is assessed using a single application form, but each program may have different requirements. Provincial loans vary by province.

For details specific to your province, please contact your student financial assistance office. Please note that residents of Ontario will receive only one loan when they apply for federal and provincial student loan funding.

General Eligibility

To apply for a Canada Student Loan, you must:

  • Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
  • Reside in a province/territory that issues Canada Student Loans
  • Demonstrate financial need
  • Maintain satisfactory academic standards
  • Be enrolled in at least 60% of a full-time study load in a degree, diploma or certificate program

How to apply

  1. Apply online or receive a hardcopy loan application from your provincial/territorial student assistance office, or visit their website (listed below).
  2. Complete and sign all necessary documents and forward them to your provincial/territorial student assistance office for assessment. Your application will be automatically assessed for a Canada Student Loan and a provincial student loan (with the exception of Quebec, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut, who operate their own financial assistance programs). Complete the application in accordance with the UQ academic year, not the Canadian academic year, February to November.
  3. Once your application has been assessed, you will be contacted in writing to be advised if you are eligible to receive a loan, and, if eligible, the amount you may borrow. It usually takes four weeks to assess your eligibility.
  4. If you qualify, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility from your provincial/territorial student financial assistance office. Complete the student and banking section of the form.
  5. Take your Certificate of Eligibility to the Financial Aid Officer at UQ along with your Canadian Photo ID (e.g. Canadian passport or Canadian driver’s license) and Canadian SIN card. The Financial Aid Officer will then complete the Confirmation of Enrolment section on your Certificate of Eligibility. Copy the front and back sides of your Photo ID & SIN card, and attach the copies to the form and send it by courier to the relevant office in Canada. This stage of the application cannot be completed until after your classes have started.
  6. The Certificate of Eligibility form will be processed by the relevant Canadian department. Funds will be paid to you by cheque or electronic transfer. This part of the process generally takes about 4 weeks.

List of provincial student financial assistance offices

*States/territories that operate separate loan programs

**States/territories that combine federal/state loans.

Canadian Revenue Agency  (CRA) Forms

If you are claiming educational expenses from your Canadian taxes, the CRA will request that you submit a form, signed by UQ. Eligible students should request a TL11A Tuition Education & Textbook Amounts Certificate – University Outside Canada form from the Financial Aid Officer.

For more information, please contact the Financial Aid Office.

Learn to see the potential of the world. Gain the knowledge to make it better.

Need help button