4. Fees

Going to university is a big financial commitment, but don’t let the cost of study deter you. Your education is the best investment you will ever make.

Tuition fees

If you enrol in a postgraduate coursework program, you will pay tuition fees.

Tuition fees vary from year to year and depend on the courses you undertake, not the program in which you are enrolled. As a result, it is not possible to publish a fixed fee for a program.

However, to help you budget, indicative annual fees based on average first-year enrolment patterns are detailed on the academic page of your chosen program. By multiplying this indicative fee by the number of years in your program, you can calculate an approximate total cost.

We’ve also published a complete list of indicative semester postgraduate coursework fees.

Commonwealth supported places and student contributions

Commonwealth supported places are funded partly by the Australian Government (Commonwealth support) and partly by you (student contribution).

UQ offers a limited number of postgraduate Commonwealth supported places. These include:

To apply for a Commonwealth supported place (CSP), you need to either:

  • be a citizen of Australia or New Zealand
  • hold an Australian permanent resident visa
  • hold an Australian permanent humanitarian visa

Calculating your fees

To help you estimate your course fees for a study period, UQ has an online fee calculator. If you identify the courses in which you intend to enrol, you can then estimate your course costs.

UQ reviews fees annually, with new indexed fees applying to all students no matter when you commenced your studies.

If you fail a course or withdraw from a course after the census date, you are still liable to pay the student contribution or tuition fee for that course, regardless of whether you attended any classes or handed in any assessment items. If you withdraw from the course by the census date, you will not be liable to pay the cost or incur the debt for that course. If you had already made an upfront payment of your fee, you can apply for a refund from UQ.

Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF)

Most Australian universities charge a compulsory annual Student Services and Amenities fee (SSAF).

SSAF proceeds are used for non-academic services for students, including sports and recreation, employment and careers advice, child care, and food services.

The maximum annual fee for 2017 is $294. UQ charges the SSAF according to your mode of attendance (internal/external) and enrolment load (full-time/part-time). The fee is indexed annually.

Going to university can mean more costs like accommodation, books and study materials, transport and parking. To help you budget, check out our living costs guide to see what an average student can expect.

See something that needs editing? Let us know.

See something that needs editing? Let us know.



Applying to UQ

To apply directly to UQ, create an applicant account and complete all details requested in the application form, attaching all required documentation as per the program entry requirements and any other additional information requests.

Apply directly to UQ

QTAC applications

To apply for the Diploma in Arts, Diploma in Science, Graduate Diploma in Education, Master of Teaching (Primary) or Master of Nursing Studies, submit your application online through the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC).

Apply to QTAC

Dictionary of UQ Terminology

What does that mean?

When you come to university you will hear a lot of new terms: here is an explanation of some of them.

Dictionary of UQ Terminology

Learn to see the potential of the world. Gain the knowledge to make it better.

Need help button