5. Scholarships and financial assistance

There are several sources of financial support for domestic students. The three main options to consider are:

Higher Education Loan Programme (HELP)

The Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) consists of several schemes to support students with the cost of their education. For postgraduate students, the most relevant are:


FEE‑HELP is a loan scheme for eligible fee-paying students.

You can apply for FEE-HELP if you:

  • have not exceeded the FEE‑HELP limit, and you
  • are an Australian citizen, or
  • a permanent humanitarian visa holder, or
  • a New Zealand Special Category Visa holder who meets relevant residency requirements. 

FEE-HELP is not available to students who have been accepted into a Commonwealth Supported Place. If you are a Commonwealth Supported student, you need to apply for HECS-HELP.

FEE-HELP loans are capped. The amount you can borrow is set by the Australian Government

The FEE‑HELP cap is a lifetime limit. The cap is not reset or renewed when you make a repayment. It cannot be used for additional study costs such as accommodation or text books.

Apply for a FEE-HELP loan after you are accepted to study at the University:

For more information, visit FEE-HELP FAQs or contact Student Fees


HECS‑HELP is a loan scheme for students enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP).

Almost all domestic undergraduate students are enrolled in a CSP. A small number of postgraduate coursework programs have CSPs available. 

To be eligible for HECS-HELP you must be:

  • enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported Place, and be
  • an Australian citizen, or 
  • a permanent humanitarian visa holder, or 
  • a New Zealand Special Category Visa holder who meets relevant residency requirements.

Holders of other permanent visas are not eligible for HECS-HELP.

Apply for a HECS-HELP loan after you are accepted to study at the University:

For more information, visit HECS-HELP FAQs or contact Student Fees.


SA-HELP is a loan scheme that helps eligible students pay their Student Services and Amenities Fee.

If you use SA-HELP, the amount will be added onto your existing HELP debt (i.e. your HECS-HELP debt, or your FEE-HELP debt).

You can also use SA-HELP if you do not want to take out any other HELP loan. A tax file number is required to obtain SA-HELP.

Apply for an SA-HELP loan after you are accepted to study at the University:

  • Australian citizens and permanent humanitarian visa holders must submit a Request for SA-HELP Assistance form via mySI-net by the relevant due date. You only need to apply once for your program.
  • New Zealand Special Category visa holders must contact Student Fees.

For more information, visit SA-HELP or contact Student Fees.

Scholarships and bursaries

The University offers more than 70 scholarships and prizes for prospective and current postgraduate coursework students.

Some of these are subject specific and reward students who want to study a particular field. Others are more general in nature or recognise personal attributes, community contributions, or sporting ability.

Application opening and closing dates vary. We recommend you search for available scholarships as early as possible to ensure you don't miss application deadlines. 

Learn more

Centrelink student services

The Australian Government provides three income-support payments for Australian tertiary students: Youth Allowance, Austudy, and ABSTUDY.

Youth Allowance is the Commonwealth Government Student Assistance Scheme that provides financial aid to full-time tertiary students under the age of 25. If you are over 25, you can apply for Austudy.

ABSTUDY provides financial assistance for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students.

Other schemes include:

  • Student Start-up Loan
  • Relocation Scholarship
  • interest-free advance loan where part of allowance is paid as lump-sum advance
  • Pensioner Education Supplement (PES)
  • Low Income Health Care Card
  • Fares Allowance
  • Child Care Benefit or Rebate, or JET Child Care Fee Assistance (if you have children in your care).

For more information contact Centrelink.

See something that needs editing? Let us know.

See something that needs editing? Let us know.



Applying to UQ

To apply directly to UQ, create an applicant account and complete all details requested in the application form, attaching all required documentation as per the program entry requirements and any other additional information requests.

Apply directly to UQ

QTAC applications

To apply for the Diploma in Arts, Diploma in Science, Graduate Diploma in Education, Master of Teaching (Primary) or Master of Nursing Studies, submit your application online through the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC).

Apply to QTAC

Dictionary of UQ Terminology

What does that mean?

When you come to university you will hear a lot of new terms: here is an explanation of some of them.

Dictionary of UQ Terminology

Learn to see the potential of the world. Gain the knowledge to make it better.

Need help button