Queensland Mathematics Summer School
UQ's Queensland Mathematics Summer School (QMSS) introduces Year 10 students to the beauty of advanced mathematical ideas and new ways of thinking.
Hosted by UQ's School of Mathematics and Physics each January, this multi-day non-residential program is open to talented students who are going into Year 11 and have chosen to study Maths Methods and Specialist Maths.
You'll delve into the deep, difficult, fun, mysterious, abstract, interconnected and useful aspects of this fascinating subject.
Why attend QMSS?
- Gain mathematical knowledge, skills and confidence – whether for a possible career in maths and science, for maths competitions, or just for yourself.
- Study with mathematicians who are passionate about their subject – from high-level researchers to graduate students at the start of their careers, all eager to share their knowledge and enthusiasm with you.
- Make friends with students from around the state and discover how much fun it is to be around people who love maths.
Students finishing Year 10 who have chosen to study Maths Methods and Specialist Maths in Year 11.
How to apply
To apply for QMSS, you need to submit an online application form and provide some information to support your application, including:
- a letter of recommendation from your mathematics teacher
- a copy of your most recent report card
- a personal statement about why you're interested in attending QMSS.
Applications close 5pm, Friday 6 November 2020. First round offers will be sent out Monday 16 November 2020.
The cost of QMSS is $100.
QMSS is a non-residential school, which means parents/guardians will need to arrange accommodation and transport for students to get to and from UQ each day. The UQ Accommodation website provides options for students and parents coming from outside the Brisbane region.
Financial assistance may be available to eligible applicants. Email QMSS for more information.
For more information, email QMSS at firstname.lastname@example.org.