We've set your view to international. If this isn't correct you can change it any time at the top right of the page. Change region ×


Under 18 international students – welfare arrangements


International students under the age of 18 need to have acceptable accommodation and welfare arrangements in place to obtain a visa.

If you plan to be unaccompanied at UQ, we can facilitate welfare arrangements in order to meet the requirements for your student visa.

If you will be under 18 when you commence your study at UQ, you can meet the accommodation and welfare arrangements required by the Department of Home Affairs via the following options:

1. Accompanied students

You will live in Australia with a parent, legal custodian or suitable relative who is over the age of 21 and of good character. This arrangement must be approved by the Department of Home Affairs.

Please refer to the Department of Home Affairs website for more information on Welfare Requirements For Student Visa Applicants Under 18.

2. Unaccompanied students

If you are unaccompanied and between 17 and 18 years of age at the commencement of your studies, you can apply for UQ-approved welfare arrangements through International Education Services (IES).

Once accepted by IES, UQ will issue a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) along with your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for your student visa application.


Download the Under 18 Information Sheet


Learn to see the potential of the world. Gain the knowledge to make it better.

Need help button