Visa information


If you are accepted to study at UQ, you may be eligible to apply for a Student visa (subclass 500).

When to apply

Apply for a student visa as soon as you receive a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from UQ. It is your responsibility to ensure you receive your visa in time to commence studies at the university.

How to apply

You will need to apply for your student visa online using the Department of Home Affairs online application system ImmiAccount.

Applying can sometimes be a complicated process. You can either:

To submit your visa application you will need to provide the details of your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), including your policy number. If you have chosen for UQ to arrange your OSHC, you will find your policy number in your CoE.

Genuine temporary entrant requirement

A key criteria for receiving your visa is meeting the genuine temporary entrant requirements.

For general advice about satisfying this requirement, download the fact sheet (PDF, 536.3 KB). It is important you understand the living costs in Brisbane and the Department of Home Affairs financial capacity requirements before applying for your visa.

If you are granted a Student visa (subclass 500) you must also comply with all visa conditions. These may include, but are not limited to:

  • maintaining satisfactory course progress and attendance,
  • maintaining approved Overseas Student Health Cover while in Australia, and
  • advising UQ immediately of changes to your Australian address and contact details.

For more information about student visas, please visit the Department of Home Affairs website or contact your closest Australian diplomatic mission.

HDR students

If you are an HDR student on a scholarship, you may also need to provide:

  • the funding source for your scholarship and whether or not it is funded by the Commonwealth Government of Australia
  • a contact person for your scholarship provider.

If you have a UQ scholarship, you will find this information on your scholarship offer. The funding source appears next to 'name'. Your offer will tell you if your scholarship is funded by the Commonwealth Government of Australia. If this is not written on your offer, then your scholarship is funded through another source.

The contact person for your provider is the person who signed your scholarship offer letter.

Student visa costs

For information about student visa fees and charges, please visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

Working in Australia with a student visa

For information about working while you are a student visa holder, please check the visa conditions on the Department of Home Affairs website. In general, you should not expect casual work to cover your tuition fees or all your living expenses.

Bringing your family

You may be able to bring your spouse and dependent children to Australia. For more information, please visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

Please note there may be visa conditions for dependent family members.

Visas for students under 18 years of age

If you will be under 18 years of age when you commence your UQ program, you must have a parent or legal guardian with you in Australia.

Alternatively, you can apply for UQ's Under 18 Supervision Program. After you receive an offer to study at UQ, you will need to complete the program registration form, which is signed by you and your parent / legal guardian.

When you accept your offer and pay your tuition fee deposit and Overseas Health Cover, you will receive a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) with your CoE. You will need both of these forms to apply for your student visa.

Renewing a student visa

There are very limited circumstances when you can renew a student visa. If you're an existing UQ student, information about renewing your student visa is on my.UQ.

Information for students from UN sanction countries

If you're from a country where the Australian Government has put restrictions (sanctions) on financial transactions, we have to ensure any restrictions aren't breached through the financial arrangements of your study.

Further information is available through the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

Graduation hat icon

Learn to see the potential of the world. Gain the knowledge to make it better.

Need help button