There are many benefits of completing a postgraduate business program such as a Master of Business, Master of Commerce or Master of Business Analytics.
A master’s degree in this field can empower you to:
- move into a different industry
- advance in your current field
- gain credibility and confidence
- increase your earning potential
- expand your professional network
- prepare for further study (e.g. a doctorate).
But while these benefits of postgraduate study are clear, you might still have questions about which specific postgrad business degree is right for you.
For example, the program we’d recommend could completely change if you’re wondering:
- What’s the best master’s degree for starting your own business?
- What’s the best master’s business degree to get for aspiring consultants?
- What’s the best master’s degree for a business undergraduate stepping straight into postgraduate study?
So, we’ve collated this comprehensive checklist of key questions to consider when working out the best postgraduate program for you.
Checklist: 13 questions for choosing the best postgraduate degree for you
Graduate outcomes (begin with the end in mind)
- Will your qualification be well regarded and valued by the industry and future employers?
- Do the program and university have a good reputation? (Are they accredited?)
- Does the program include opportunities to network and connect with industry through events and projects?
- Does the university offer career support services to help you achieve your professional goals?
Student experience (enjoy your time back at uni)
- Does the curriculum interest you? (Will the course topics prepare you to achieve your goals?)
- Does the program offer extra-curricular learning opportunities such as student clubs, support services and chances to meet and network with others?
- Does the program offer extra experiences and opportunities to gain practical skills and experience such as industry projects and work placements?
Practical considerations (make sure your study is feasible)
- Does the program offer flexible study options (such as part-time study, blended learning and online classes) to help you balance study with your work and other commitments?
- Do you meet the entry requirements for the program? (You may be able to discuss alternative pathways into the program or gain credit for previous study.)
- Where is the university located? (Are there public transport options nearby, could you move if you have to, or are there online study options available?)
Program information (get into the nitty gritty)
- How long is the program? (Are there options to defer studies or hit pause if you need to?)
- How much does the program cost? (What other fees, such as study materials and travel costs, do you need to consider?)
- Does the university offer any scholarships for this program?
Can’t find all these answers online? Sometimes reaching out is all it takes to clear up any remaining questions.
At UQ Business School, you can speak with our friendly Student Admissions team via phone, email or chat. You may also like to speak with staff and current students to get a feel for what it’s like to study your program – attend an event or keep an eye out on social media channels.
Wondering whether you should study a master’s in the same field as your undergraduate degree or if you should try something different? Here’s what you need to consider.