Rural Background Sub-quota – Doctor of Medicine


How does it work?

Rural and remote areas of Australia often have restricted or limited access to educational opportunities and medical services.

To help address the challenges rural students face, 28 per cent of all domestic places in each year’s Doctor of Medicine intake are assigned to applicants from an Australian rural background. 

If you successfully apply for the sub-quota as a direct entry applicant, you will also have two adjustments added onto your overall GAMSAT score.

If you're a provisional entry applicant, you will have two adjustments added onto your entry rank via the Rural Access Scheme.

Who is eligible?

To be considered a student from a rural background, you must have lived in a geographic region classified as –

  • Remoteness Area 2 (RA2)
  • Remoteness Area 3 (RA3)
  • Remoteness Area 4 (RA4)
  • Remoteness Area 5 (RA5) –

for at least five consecutive years, or for 10 years cumulatively.

Remoteness Areas are defined by the Australian Standard Geographical Classification (ASGC) system.

There is a searchable map of Australia that allows you to view the ASGC Remoteness Area classification of the region where you live. 

It doesn't matter when you lived in one of these areas – you are eligible for any period of your life (i.e. from birth on).

A rural residential property must have been your principal home address. Holiday homes, secondary residences and investment properties don't qualify.

Students who attended boarding school are allowed to use their family's primary residence as their qualifying address.

Documentation required

You will need to provide documentary evidence that proves your rural background.

Acceptable supporting evidence might include:

  • School reports that show your residential address.
  • University transcripts that show your residential address.
  • Signed official letters on original letterhead from a school, university or workplace that show your residential address.
  • Other documents that prove the duration of your residency, such as utility invoices, rates notices, or bank statements that show your address at the time of issue. These proof of residency documents can be in your parents' names.

Each document must clearly display the date and the relevant residential address at the time of issue.

Please note that one document from the start and one from the end of your residency for each nominated address is sufficient.

Documents do not need to be certified. Low-resolution files are preferred when you submit your supporting evidence.

How do I apply?

Provisional entry school leavers

Applications for the Rural Background Sub-quota are administered by QTAC.

When you list the Doctor of Medicine as a preference on your QTAC application, QTAC will contact you about applying for the Rural Access Scheme.

If you are approved for the Rural Access Scheme, you will automatically be considered for the Rural Background Sub-quota.

QTAC will ask you to check your eligibility and your ASGC Remoteness Area (ASGC-RA) category. You will then have to submit a cover sheet and your supporting documentation.

Contact QTAC for more information.

Direct entry graduates

Please indicate your rural background on the relevant section of your GEMSAS application. You must also send your supporting evidence to:

GEMSAS Processing 
PO Box 522 
Ferny Hills DC 
Queensland 4055

Contact GEMSAS for further information.

Graduation hat icon

Learn to see the potential of the world. Gain the knowledge to make it better.

Need help button