Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS)


Australia’s reputation as a safe, progressive and dynamic place to study is maintained by providing international students with quality education and consumer protection.

To ensure that all international students receive a quality education in Australia, the Australian Government has developed a set of standards known as the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Framework.

All institutions offering education services to international students in Australia must abide by these standards.

Protecting international students

Education institutions offering programs to international students in Australia must be registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

CRICOS registration guarantees that your institution and the programs you are undertaking in Australia meet the high quality standards set out by the Australian Government. 

UQ's CRICOS Provider Number: 00025B

Know your rights as an international student

As an international student on a student visa, you must study with an institution and for a program that is registered on CRICOS.

Under the ESOS framework, you have the right to:

  • Receive current and accurate information about programs, fees, study options and other information relevant to you.
  • Sign a written agreement with your institution that outlines the services provided and fees payable and includes information about refunds.
  • Receive a refund or to be placed in another program if your provider is unable to deliver the course.
  • Be informed about:
    • orientation and access to support services to help you adjust to life in Australia
    • who to contact
    • applying for course credit
    • deferring, suspending or cancelling your enrolment
    • your provider’s requirements for satisfactory progress in the courses you study, and academic support in case you are not progressing as well as expected
    • the complaints and appeals process
    • your providers’ attendance policies

Know your responsibilities

Know who to contact

For policy and procedures that affect you, contact the UQ Student centre.

For your ESOS rights and responsibilities, contact the ESOS helpline on +61 2 6240 5069 or fill in the online enquiry form.

For visa matters, contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection on 131 881 in Australia or the Departmental office in your country

See something that needs editing? Let us know.

See something that needs editing? Let us know.

Learn to see the potential of the world. Gain the knowledge to make it better.

Need help button