5. Scholarships and financial assistance

There are several sources of financial support for domestic students. The three main options to consider are:

Scholarships and bursaries

The University offers nearly 100 scholarships for prospective undergraduate students and more than 250 scholarships and prizes for current students.

Scholarships may be awarded for:

  • Academic achievement and leadership 
  • Equity and diversity
  • Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students
  • Sporting excellence
  • Academic disciplines. 

There are also dedicated scholarships for medical students, including: 

The Bashford / Sinnott Family Doctor of Medicine Scholarship
Awarded to a first-year Doctor of Medicine (MD) student showing the greatest merit based on financial need, academic achievement and personal qualities.

The Claud and Kate Delpratt Memorial Scholarship
Awarded to an Indigenous student of The University of Queensland or The University of Western Australia who is enrolled or enrolling in the MD program or in a program taken as a precursor to the MD.

Application opening and closing dates vary. We recommend you search for available scholarships as early as possible to ensure you don't miss application deadlines. 

Learn more

Higher Education Loan Programme (HELP)

The Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) consists of several schemes to support students with the cost of their education. For medical students, the most relevant are:


HECS‑HELP is a loan scheme for students enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP).

Almost all domestic undergraduate students are enrolled in a CSP. A small number of postgraduate coursework programs have CSPs available. 

To be eligible for HECS-HELP you must be:

  • enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported Place, and be
  • an Australian citizen, or 
  • a permanent humanitarian visa holder, or 
  • a New Zealand Special Category Visa holder who meets relevant residency requirements.

Holders of other permanent visas are not eligible for HECS-HELP.

Apply for a HECS-HELP loan after you are accepted to study at the University:

For more information, visit HECS-HELP FAQs or contact Student Fees.


SA-HELP is a loan scheme that helps eligible students pay their Student Services and Amenities Fee.

If you use SA-HELP, the amount will be added onto your existing HELP debt (i.e. your HECS-HELP debt, or your FEE-HELP debt).

You can also use SA-HELP if you do not want to take out any other HELP loan. A tax file number is required to obtain SA-HELP.

Apply for an SA-HELP loan after you are accepted to study at the University:

  • Australian citizens and permanent humanitarian visa holders must submit a Request for SA-HELP Assistance form via mySI-net by the relevant due date. You only need to apply once for your program.
  • New Zealand Special Category visa holders must contact Student Fees.

For more information, visit SA-HELP or contact Student Fees.

Centrelink student services

The Australian Government provides three income-support payments for Australian tertiary students: Youth Allowance, Austudy, and ABSTUDY.

Youth Allowance is the Commonwealth Government Student Assistance Scheme that provides financial aid to full-time tertiary students under the age of 25. If you are over 25, you can apply for Austudy.

ABSTUDY provides financial assistance for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students.

Other schemes include:

  • Student Start-up Loan
  • Relocation Scholarship
  • interest-free advance loan where part of allowance is paid as lump-sum advance
  • Pensioner Education Supplement (PES)
  • Low Income Health Care Card
  • Fares Allowance
  • Child Care Benefit or Rebate, or JET Child Care Fee Assistance (if you have children in your care).

For more information contact Centrelink.

See something that needs editing? Let us know.

See something that needs editing? Let us know.



Provisional entry for school leavers 

If you are a current school leaver and wish to apply for UQ's Doctor of Medicine (MD), submit your application online through the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC).

Apply to QTAC

Direct entry for graduates

If you have already completed bachelor degree or equivalent and wish to apply for UQ's Doctor of Medicine (MD), submit your application through the Graduate Entry Medical School Admissions System (GEMSAS).

Apply to GEMSAS

Dictionary of UQ Terminology

What does that mean?

When you come to university you will hear a lot of new terms: here is an explanation of some of them.

Dictionary of UQ Terminology

Learn to see the potential of the world. Gain the knowledge to make it better.

Need help button