4. Fees

Going to university can be a big financial commitment, but don’t let the cost of study deter you. Your education is the best investment you will ever make.

Tuition fees

In most cases, when you enrol in a postgraduate coursework program you will pay tuition fees.

Tuition fees vary from year to year and depend on the courses you choose – not the program you are enrolled in.

To help you estimate your costs, we’ve put together a complete list of indicative annual fees for postgraduate coursework programs. These are displayed on each program page.

Indicative annual fees are based on average first-year enrolment data. If you multiply the indicative fee by the number of years in the program, you can calculate an approximate total cost.

Commonwealth Supported Places

Commonwealth Supported Places are available for some postgraduate programs.

Commonwealth Supported students don't pay full tuition fees – the Australian Government subsidises about 60 per cent of your course fees.

To reflect the fact that Commonwealth supported students don't pay full fees, the fees you do incur are called "student contribution amounts".

All places Commonwealth supported

The following postgraduate programs are only offered on a Commonwealth-supported basis in 2019:

Limited places Commonwealth supported

The following postgraduate programs have a limited number of Commonwealth Supported Places. Once all Commonwealth Supported Places have been exhausted, offers may be made on a tuition-fee-paying basis.

Indicative annual student contribution amounts for 2019 are listed in the table below. To view the indicative annual tuition fee, click the relevant program page below:

Program code Program name 2019 indicative annual
student contribution amount
5563 Master of Agricultural Science (#24) $9,359
5564 Master of Agricultural Science (#32) $9,359
5429 Master of Architecture $9,359
5015 Graduate Certificate in Clinical Pharmacy $4,679
5120 Graduate Diploma in Clinical Pharmacy $9,359
5146 Master of Clinical Pharmacy $9,359
5533 Graduate Certificate in Pharmacy Practice $4,679
5551 Master of Conservation Biology $9,009
5597 Master of Conservation Science $9,009
5659 Master of Data Science (#24) $9,359
5660 Master of Data Science (#32) $9,359
5473 Master of Dietetics Studies $9,359
5171 Master of Educational Studies (#24)** $6,566
5265 Master of Educational Studies (#16)** $6,566
5596 Master of Educational Studies (#32)** $6,566
5041 Graduate Certificate in Mineral Resources $4,679
5097 Graduate Diploma in Mineral Resources $9,359
5196 Master of Mineral Resources $9,359
5558 Master of Occupational Health and Safety Science (#24) $9,558
5653 Master of Occupational Health and Safety Science (#32) $9,558
5221 Master of Physiotherapy  $9,359

** CSPs are available in the fields of 'Career Development' and 'Guidance and Counselling' only.

An ‘indicative annual fee’ is the approximate cost of enrolling in a standard full-time study load. A standard full-time study load is 16 units over two semesters (8 units for a Graduate Certificate).

Actual fees may be lower or higher depending on your choice of courses, their unit value and the time you take to complete a program. Fees may be higher in later years because all fees are reviewed annually.

Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF)

Most Australian universities charge a compulsory annual Student Services and Amenities fee (SSAF).

The SSAF is used to fund for non-academic services for students, including sports and recreation, employment and careers advice, child care, and food services.

The maximum annual fee is $303 for 2019. UQ charges the SSAF according to your mode of attendance (internal/external) and enrolment load (full-time/part-time). The fee is indexed annually.

Going to university often means paying for a range of different things, including accommodation, books and study materials, transport and parking.

To help you budget, check out our living costs guide to see what an average student can expect.

See something that needs editing? Let us know.

See something that needs editing? Let us know.



Applying to UQ

To apply directly to UQ, create an applicant account and complete all details requested in the application form, attaching all required documentation as per the program entry requirements and any other additional information requests.

Apply directly to UQ

QTAC applications

To apply for the Diploma in Arts, Diploma in Science, Graduate Diploma in Education, Master of Teaching (Primary) or Master of Nursing Studies, submit your application online through the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC).

Apply to QTAC

Dictionary of UQ Terminology

Say what?

When you apply to university, you might encounter new or unfamiliar terminology. Here's what some of these words mean.

Admission terms and definitions

Graduation hat icon

Learn to see the potential of the world. Gain the knowledge to make it better.

Need help button

RightNow Chat Offer